Thursday, September 20, 2012

There's a Hole in My Bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza..

Did the anonimously written poem Edward remind anyone else of the children's song "There's a Hole in My Bucket"?! Only paragraph in, after reading "'Your hawk's blood was never so red, Edward, Edward, Your hawk's blood was never so red'" (977), I automatically began reading the rest of the poem to the tune of that children's song. I was astounded at how similar the structures of these two works are. The repitition almost matches perfectly. Check it out!This mental connection proved extremely distracting, however, for I was too caught up in the joy of my realization that I could hardly concentrate on the meaning of the poem!
Alas, after some intense focus, I have to admit that I am still partially confused. Why did this young man kill his father? Why is his mother so calm upon this realization? Her initial reaction was to ask her son, "'And what penance will ye do for that, Edward, Edward...." (978). Did the mother encourage her son to kill his father? This thought crossed my mind upon reading the last line: "'The curse of hell from me shall ye bear, such counsels you gave to me, O'" (978). Did this woman advise her son to commit such a horrific act?! Is that why she will bear the curse of hell?! Who knows......

 I bet Costello does.

No comments:

Post a Comment