Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some Situational Irony

Finally, Laura opens lets loose a bit! However, this concession of her shyness was to no avail. As Jim got Laura to attempt to dance and talk and as he began to compliment her, I thought all was heading toward a blossoming love. "In all respects-believe me! Your eyes-your hair-are pretty! Your hands are pretty! ....I'm talking to you sincerely" (Williams, 1283). The man complimented her hands! At that point, I was sure the two were star-crossed lovers.

Unfortunately, I was wrong; enter: irony.

One would think that the man who could make Laura feel comfortable, the one who could see beyond her crippling, the one who appreciated her for who she was, would be the one she would marry. In turn, Amanda would be satisfied, Tom could leave to pursue his dreams, and Laura would be cared for. Yet, at this point, I figure we should know better than to expect a happy ending. 


No comments:

Post a Comment