Thursday, November 15, 2012

A New Perception of the Monster

In Chapter X of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the reader sees a new side to the monster. In Victor's previous encounter with the monster, immediately after it was created, the monster was characterized as a baby. He was inarticulate and socially inept. However, in Chapter X, Victor speaks to the monster once again. The monster says at one point, "Thus I relieve thee, my creator; thus, I take from thee a sight which you abhor. Still thou canst listen to me and grant me thy compassion. By the virtues that I once possessed, I deamand this from you...." (70).  The monster's educated manner of speaking is both shocking and confusing. Somehow, in the two years that passed since the creation, the creature obtained some sort of education and learning that enabled him to communicate properly. Moreover, this confirms the fact that Victor truly created a human being capable of functioning in society. Just as a human progresses in education from the time he is an infant to an adult, so has the monster. This shines a new light on the science Victor utilized in his creation; not only was he able to create life, but along with it, he created intellect.

No comments:

Post a Comment