Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A New Game for Miss Bart

The House of Mirth
Chapters V & VI

These two chapters of Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth clearly illustrate both the dynamic and round statuses of the character Lily Bart. In the past chapters, Bart has had complete control of her friends and suitors. However, after Selden shows up at Bellomont, Miss Bart begins to find herself giving into impulse and growing nervous. It seems as if Selden is the one person who can bring out the true Lily Bart; he sees through her manipulative games, making her feel uncomfortable. For example, Selden asks, "Ah, but I don't suppose that: haven't I told you that your genius lies in converting impulses to intentions?" (Wharton, 54). Selden is not fooled by her attempts to make even predmeditated actions seem spontaneous. This dissection of Lily's motives causes her to act differently. Wharton uses this change to show the special relationship between Miss Bart and Selden. I believe Wharton is foreshadowing a true love between the two characters that will continue to develop throughout the story.
I now officially identify myself with Team Selden. Wharton describes him as a very laid back man who rarely gets flustered and is content with his lifestyle, though he may not possess as many riches as his peers. I find this very appealing and I predict that Lily will learn to marry for love over riches. TEAM SELDEN OR BUST.


Slight confusion: Why was Mrs. Dorset pursuing Selden? She is a married woman, and that game is over for her! I do not understand...anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment