Sunday, July 15, 2012

Not Liking the Omen

The House of Mirth (Book II)
Chapter XII
In this chapter of Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth, the change in the actions and spirit of Lily Bart are made quite obvious. During her visit with Selden, every move she makes carries with it a sense of weakness and hopelessness. For example, such lines as "Her voice had gathered strength, and she looked him gravely in the eyes as she continued, 'Once-twice-you gave me the chance to escape from my life, and I refused it: refused it because I was a coward'" (Wharton, 250) make the reader feel as if Miss Bart is worn out and alone. She has returned to Selden at a time of desperation, the once person she has always felt a unique connection with.
In this chapter, I could not help but notice the ominous choice of diction that Wharton has chosen. For instance, use of words such as "death-pang" (Wharton, 249) and phrases such as "Something in the truth lay dead between them" (Wharton, 251) and "...the love she had killed in him" (Wharton, 251) all carry a sense of forboding. What is to come next? This chapter has made me realize that Lily is slowly giving up the upkeep of a rich lifestyle. Her lack of sleep is making it difficult for her to even make it through the day, and her relationships are suffering. Despite this result, however, she is still able to connect with Selden, even at such a low point in her life. This is yet another sign of their "star-crossed" love. Nonetheless, I believe it is too late to save Miss Lily Bart, and I dread what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment