Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A New Boyish Side of Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
p. 85-96

In these next few pages of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Mr. Gatsby's love for Daisy is clear not only in his words, but his actions as well. He adopts a vulnerability in her presence. This is evident by the boyish nature that comes out when it comes time for Daisy to arrive for tea. When she pulls up, he runs out of the house in fear and embarassment and then turns around and knocks back on the door. "Gatsby, pale as death, with his hands plunged like weights in his coat pockets, was standing in a puddle of water glaring tragically into my eyes" (Fitzgerald, 86). This paints a picture of absolute fear! He is so in love with Daisy that his nerves take an extreme physical toll on him! Until now, Gatsby has been portrayed as a calm, collected, and sophisticated man. This chapter introduces to the reader a new side of him. For me, this side of Gatsby almost makes me uncomfortable and annoyed.
I noticed another sign of Gatsby's true love for Daisy when the two went over to his home. Earlier in the story, Gatsby spent time at his own parties on the phone negotiating business-he never thought twice about it. However, when the phone rang while he was with Daisy, he tells the caller "'Well, I can't talk now....I can't talk now, old sport....'" (Fitzgerald, 93). Gatsby cherishes his time with Daisy so much that he would ignore a business call for her! My oh my, the man is in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment