Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Nick Loves Who?

The Great Gatsby
p.49-60

I am pretty confused by Nick's relationship status. Early in the book, there was mention of a rumor about Nick being engaged back West. He neither confirmed nor denied the rumor, and on page fifty eight it was mentioned again: "...and I knew that first I had to get myself definitely out of that tangle back home. I'd been writing letters once a week and signing them: 'Love, Nick,' and all I could think of was how, when that certain girl played tennis, a faint mustache of perspiration appeared on her upper lip" (Fitzgerald, 58). This is a direct confirmation by Nick of the fact that he indeed has a lover back home. However, Nick is clearly starting to develop feelings for Miss Jordan Baker. The two seem very compatible. However, it is too early to confirm the status of their relationship. Will this relationship back home stop him developing one with Miss Baker? From the above diologue, the chances of the engagement back home conintuing seem slim, especially if he is letting the superficial matter of unappealing perspiration turn him away from this girl. I hope that if Nick can get himself to break off his relationship with mystery girl, that him and Jordan will form a very happy couple. Oh, the many love tales of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

No comments:

Post a Comment