Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Revealing Diction

In Hazel Tells LaVerne, Howd Machan's use of diction is rather revealing. The jargon and "slang talk" used such as "so I goes ta flushm down" (Machan) initially reveals personality and other aspects of the character, whom I am guessing is Hazel. This use of laid back language shows that Hazel is uneducated and seemingly carefree as well. The two women are most likely close friends because Hazel makes little effort to speak in a sophisticated manner whatsoever. The lack of any punctuation or capitalization in the poem supports this further. Additionally, Hazel's use of language creates humor within the work. Reading this poem brings to mind two women conversing over enthusiastically and most likely over-exaggerating a story. Also, simply the poor use of grammar is humorous to me. A poem written in slang as such allows the reader to feel as if the storyteller is speaking directly to him. Therefore, after studying this work, I truly felt as if I had connected with Hazel's character, and found myself identifying with her emotions. This was all a result of Machan's choice of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment