Thursday, August 9, 2012

Is Gatsby Really Great?

The Great Gatsby
Final Reflection

"Only Gatsby, the man who gives his name to this book, was exempt from my reaction-Gatsby, who represented everything for which I have unaffected scorn" (Fitzgerald, 2).

After finishing F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, I thought once more of this sentence and the title of the book in general. I find myself wondering whether or not Gatsby was really "great." I understand that he was a central character and all, but so were Daisy; Myrtle; and Tom. Why is the book not named after one of them. Marvelous Myrtle has a nice ring to it, don't you agree? What did Gatsby do that was so fantastic that he was worthy of having the entire novel named after him? In my opinion, Gatsby was almost the opposite of "great." He was a loner, a nervous wreck around women, a wife snatcher, partially dishonest, and an accomplice in murder. Yet, the book named after him has gone down in history as one of the greatest pieces of American Literature of all time? I believe Fitzgerald is being ironic with his title choice. Honestly, that is my only guess. I find the matter to be rather intriguing and am curious to hear others' thoughts.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading The Great Gatsby. The story was both calmly inticing and "to the point", which I appreciated.  Also, call me sadistic, but the two murders were quite exhilirating. I love when things get heated to the point of death-in fictional novels of course! Reading these two novels this summer makes me excited for American Lit. I can definitely say that I trust Mr. Costello's taste in literature now. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment